I made this for the Drop-in Supper Chris and hosted at my sister's house in GR last Nov. It is my veggie version of the Three Pepper Beef stew, same basic ingredients, minus the beef and potatoes. Although if you must have potatoes, you can add them if you diced them up very small and add them at the same time as Garbanzos.
- 2 cans of Chickpeas (Garbanzos) or 4 cups of re-hydrated and cooked Garbanzos if making from Dry beans.
- ½ cup white or Spanish Onion
- dash of curry powder
- dash of Paprika
- dash of red pepper powder
- dash of Tabasco
- dash of white crushed pepper (although any fresh crushed pepper will do)
- 1 packet of Sazon
- 1/2 cup diced Green Pepper
- 1/2 cup diced Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup diced Yellow Pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cartons of Vegetable broth
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Olives to taste
1. Heat Curry powder, paprika, over medium heat for about 30 seconds, just enough to revive their pungent aroma.
2.Add peppers, onion and garlic and sauté in 1 1/2 tsp of olive oil, in large heavy stockpot, then add 2 cups of Garbanzos (1 Can) until they are coated nicely with the olive oil and spices.
3. Add vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Add a small can of tomato paste
4. Take remaining 2 cups of Garbanzos and Puree in a blender, or chop finely in food processor. Add to soup.
5. Simmer for 1 hr.
6. Add Olives (or artichoke hearts) and cook for about 3 minutes, and then you are ready to serve.